Newcastle appoints coach Eddie Howe

The club with the richest owner Newcastle on November 8 announced the appointment of Eddie Howe as head coach until the summer of 2024.

“Through the rigorous recruitment process, we are very impressed with Howe,” Amanda Staveley – co-owner of Newcastle – said on the team’s homepage. “Howe has achieved concrete results at Bournemouth, and transformed that team. He’s also dynamic, passionate and has a clear plan to move the team forward. Howe fits the bill perfectly. we’re trying to build in Newcastle.”

Eddie Howe was once targeted as the head coach of the England team.  Photo: Reuters

Eddie Howe was once targeted as the head coach of the England team. Photo: Reuters

Howe grew up in Bournemouth’s academy and spent most of his career playing for this club as a defender. After retiring at the age of 30 in 2007, he moved to lead Bournemouth in two periods: 2008-2011 and 2012-2020. He brought Bournemouth to third place in 2010, second place in 2013 and Premier League in 2015. He was also selected three times as the best manager of the Premier League, in March 2017, January 2018 and October 2018.

Howe left Bournemouth after the club’s relegation for the 2019-2020 season, and has been idle since. The 43-year-old coach will replace Steve Bruce to start leading Newcastle. “I am very proud to be the head coach of a club as big and rich in tradition as Newcastle,” Howe said. “This opportunity is precious, but I have a lot of work ahead of me. I want to get to work quickly.”

On October 7, the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund (PIF) with assets of more than 400 billion USD bought 80% of the shares of Newcastle club. The remaining 20% ​​is owned by two partners of PIF. Newcastle become the team with the richest owner in the world, but their current results are not satisfactory. Newcastle are the only team yet to win a game in the Premier League this season, and they remain at the bottom of the table.

Follow The Athletic, Newcastle’s priority is coach Unai Emery, but he does not want to leave Villarreal. Howe made an impression in an interview last week, when he laid out his detailed plan and goals for the January 2022 transfer window.

Hoang An (follow NUFC)

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button