Blogtuan.info – Heart palpitations are conditions when the heartbeat suddenly becomes more pronounced.
Your heart will feel faster, beat faster, or even beat irregularly.
This condition usually lasts for a few seconds or minutes. This sensation can also usually be felt in the throat or neck.
While they may seem alarming, most cases of palpitations are harmless and not a serious problem.
Sometimes it can also feel extra beat or just “skipped”. This condition is called an ectopic beat and is also nothing to worry about.
In some cases, palpitations can also indicate a serious condition.
Usually, a diagnostic test called “outpatient arrhythmia monitoring” can help differentiate between benign and malignant arrhythmias (irregular heartbeats).
Some causes of heart palpitations, including:
- hormonal changes
- heart rhythm problems
- heart condition
- other medical conditions
- excessive caffeine consumption
- nicotine consumption such as from cigarettes or cigars
- stress and anxiety
- lack of sleep
- hormonal changes, including pregnancy
- electrolyte imbalance
- low sugar content
- extreme sports
- stimulants such as amphetamines or cocaine
- sleep apnea.
Palpitations generally do not last long and do not require special treatment.
However, it is better to consult a doctor if:
- palpitations last a long time, do not improve or get worse
- have a history of heart problems
- worried about the condition of the palpitations.
The doctor will perform a physical examination and ask about your medical history.
Some of the tests that can be done to find out the condition causing the palpitations include the following.
- Electrocardiogram (ECG): This can be done while resting or exercising. This test is called a stress EKG. This device will record the heart’s electrical signals and show any unusual heart rhythms.
- Holter Monitoring: involves wearing a monitor on the chest and recording the heart’s electrical signals for 24 to 48 hours. This tool can identify rhythm differences that are not detected during the EKG.
- Chest X-ray: Your doctor will check for changes in your lungs that could be from a heart problem. For example, if there is fluid in the lungs that could be a result of heart failure
- Echocardiogram: a kind of cardiac ultrasound, can provide detailed information regarding the structure and function of the heart at that time.
Treatment for heart palpitations depends on the underlying condition.
However, sometimes doctors can’t find a specific cause.
If caused by lifestyle such as smoking or consuming too much caffeine, sufferers only need to reduce or stop using these substances.
If no specific treatment is required, here are some steps you can take to prevent palpitations from occurring.
Try to find out the trigger so that it can be prevented in the future
- Record the food and drink consumed, as well as when palpitations occur
- Learn relaxation exercises, deep breathing, yoga, or tai chi to do when you’re feeling stressed or anxious
- Limit alcohol or nicotine consumption
- Ask for alternative medicine if that is the cause of the palpitations
- Eat regularly with the ideal menu
- Minimize alcohol intake
- Maintain blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
Get updates selected news and breaking news every day from Blogtuan.info. Let’s join the Telegram group “Blogtuan.info News Update”, how to click the link https://facebook.com/groups/2271467342910314, then join. You must first install the Telegram application on your cellphone.
This article is not intended for self-diagnosis. Please always consult a doctor to get the right examination and treatment.