Life StyleSức Khỏe

What happens if you accidentally ingest mold?

I was enjoying a piece of bread and suddenly realized I had bitten on a piece of green mold “unspeakable”. Not only does this make people feel disgusted, but it also causes anxiety because they wonder if they don’t know what to eat mold Is it dangerous or should I go to the emergency room right away?

In fact, this is a very common phenomenon. Keri Gans, a registered dietitian in New York, explains that mold is easy to grow on soft and spongy foods like bread, fruits and vegetables. Furthermore, people may even have eaten them without even knowing it.

Basically, eating moldy food isn’t as harmful and life-threatening as any other, says Rudolph Bedford, a gastroenterologist at Providence Saint John’s Health Center in Santa Monica. thinker.

So even if you accidentally ingest that patch of green mold, you’ll probably be fine. However, people still need to note a few things below and avoid eating moldy food:

What happens if mold is eaten?

What happens if you accidentally eat mold and expert advice - Photo 1.

In rare cases, ingesting mold will make you sick.

Running to the bathroom to scrub your tongue and rinse your mouth is the first thing many people think of when they ingest mold. According to Dr. Rudolph, you won’t die from eating this. In fact, if the immune system is in good shape, the body can digest mold like any other food.

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has pointed out that, although mold can grow on plant and animal products through prolonged exposure to air, water or insects, they are not usually dangerous.

In addition, mold also appears on some foods such as hams, dry processed cheeses. In many cases, these green patches are completely edible.

Will you get sick after eating moldy food?

What happens if you accidentally eat mold and expert advice - Photo 2.

People should consider mold as a sign that food is spoiled and needs to be thrown away.

According to Dr. Rudolph, getting sick after ingesting mold is very rare. To lead to that situation, you will have to consume a large amount of green plaque on this food.

However, if you experience symptoms such as persistent nausea and vomiting, people should contact their doctor as soon as possible. Usually, taking an anti-nausea medication will ease the symptoms.

In severe cases, the doctor may prescribe something that stimulates vomiting or diarrhea, thereby eliminating toxins from the body as quickly as possible.

For people with mold allergies, consuming the green patches on these foods will contribute to breathing problems.

However, Dr. Rudolph said, don’t worry too much because this phenomenon is usually short-lived and can be easily treated.

Can the food be eaten if the mold is removed?

What happens if you accidentally eat mold and expert advice - Photo 3.

Foods to throw away when moldy include soft cheeses, soft fruit, baked goods, legumes, nuts, yogurt, jellies, breads, and meats.

When noticing a little mold on food, many people think that these green patches can be cut off and continue to use. This is right or wrong, depending on the type of food.

According to the USDA, although you may only see a small fraction of the mold on the outside of your food, the toxin is most likely to have penetrated deep inside without being visible to the naked eye. Therefore, it is best to throw away all food containing these green patches, no matter where the mold appears.

However, mold can’t easily penetrate certain hard cheeses, hard sausages, and hard-skinned fruits and vegetables like soft foods. Therefore, they are rarely attacked by green patches deep inside the core.

Everyone should be able to cut a minimum of 2-3cm around and below the mold, keep the knives free of mold during the process, and cover the rest of the food in a new layer of wrap.

How do I prevent mold from forming?

What happens if you accidentally eat mold and expert advice - Photo 4.

While it’s not possible to completely eliminate mold, a few simple tips can help keep your food fresh for longer and limit mold attack.

Mold often thrives in warm and humid environments. Dry mold spores float through the air in search of a suitable place to grow. Here are the USDA recommendations to help prevent these green patches from growing on food most effectively and simply:

– Check food carefully before buying.

Buy food in just enough quantity so that mold doesn’t have time to grow.

– Cover food with cling film.

– Store food in the refrigerator.

– Throw away leftovers after 3-4 days.

– Clean the refrigerator regularly.

Keep indoor humidity below 40%.

(Source: Women’shealth)

You are reading the article What happens if you accidentally ingest mold?
at – Source: – Read the original article here

Back to top button