Thousands of civilians in the besieged port city of Mariupol in southern Ukraine may have died four weeks after being bombed.
Reuters news agency quoted the head of the United Nations human rights mission in Ukraine “We think thousands of people may have died in Mariupol,” said Matilda Bogner. The official said the mission does not have an exact number, and is working to gather more information.
However, Mariupol Mayor Vadym Boichenko said nearly 5,000 people, including about 210 children, have been killed in Mariupol since the Russian siege of the city a month ago.
The mayor’s office said that 90% of buildings in the city were damaged, 40% destroyed, including hospitals, schools, kindergartens and factories.
Local officials last week estimated that as many as 300 people were killed in a March 16 bomb attack on a theater in Mariupol, where many people were sheltering.
As of March 29, the United Nations human rights office confirmed that 1,179 civilians had been killed and 1,860 injured across Ukraine after five weeks of conflict. Last week, Bogner said, supervisors had received information about mass graves in Mariupol, including one that appeared to contain up to 200 bodies. In addition, some people who died naturally were not taken to morgues or buried in private graves due to hostile acts.
A series of photos inside the city of Mariupol through the lens of Reuters:
|Close-up of Mariupol after more than a month of being bombed|
at Blogtuan.info – Source: vietnamnet.vn – Read the original article here