In a blog post on Monday, Meta said it was testing virtual sales inside its Horizon Worlds metaverse platform. The company says creators will be able to sell things like fashion accessories for users’ avatars or exclusive access to parts of their custom virtual worlds.
Meta and CEO Mark Zuckerberg have previously criticized Apple for charging developers 30% for in-app purchases through the App Store. Even Zuckerberg said in a Facebook post last November that Meta was making changes to help metaverse creators avoid Apple’s App Store fees.
He said at the time that: “When we built for the metaverse, we focused on opening up opportunities for creators to monetize their work. The 30% fee Apple levies on transactions makes that harder to do, because So we’re updating the product registration system so creators can earn more.”
And now, Meta charges a platform fee of 30% for sales made on Meta Quest, its virtual reality system, formerly known as Oculus. And yet, Horizon Worlds, Meta’s metaverse system, will charge a 25% sales fee.
This means that Meta will take up to 47.5% of the fee on the sale price, leaving the seller 52.5%.
A spokesperson for Meta has confirmed that the number is correct.
This person even said: “If a creator sells an item for 1 USD, then the Meta Quest Store fee will be 0.3 USD and the Horizon Platform fee will be 0.17 USD (25% balance), leaving 0.53 USD for creator”.
“Over time, we plan to bring Horizon Worlds to more platforms, and so platform fees won’t always be charged to Meta. As Horizon Worlds rolls out to more platforms like mobile, we expect those platforms to charge their own fees. Horizon Worlds fee is 25%, the remainder will be applied after any relevant hardware platform fees are applied.” this added.
Vivek Sharma, Vice President of Meta at Horizon, told The Verge that: “We think it’s a pretty competitive share of the market. We believe other platforms can get their share.”
In October last year, Meta announced a rebranding from Facebook to shift its focus from a social media niche to so-called “metaverse” technology – a futuristic vision of the internet being accessed via the internet. through immersive technologies like VR.
The company also says that only a select number of “creators” will be testing the virtual selling feature at this time. A spokesperson for Meta declined to give exact numbers when asked. Users in the US and Canada will experience it first.
at Blogtuan.info – Source: genk.vn – Read the original article here