Having his grandson lean on his shoulder, Mr. T. was startled, causing the fishbone to be pinned to the vocal cords. Doctors performed emergency surgery, removing the bone more than 3cm long.
On April 20, sharing information, Dr. Nguyen Thanh Vinh, deputy director of Ho Chi Minh City’s Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital, said that the hospital had just received and promptly provided first aid for a case of a very serious foreign body choking.
Patient is Mr. HTT (54 years old, from Long An).
A fishbone more than 3cm long pinned to the patient’s larynx after choking
At the time of admission, the patient presented with painful swallowing and hoarseness. Information from the patient said that, before the time of admission, the patient was eating a meal with red catfish soup when his grandson suddenly jumped on his shoulder.
After being startled, he coughed heavily, had difficulty breathing, and turned pale. Going to the local hospital for emergency, he was discovered by a doctor that he had a very large fishbone located in the oropharynx but in a difficult position, so he was transferred to the Ho Chi Minh City Ear, Nose Throat Hospital.
Here, through examination, lower laryngoscopy for the patient, the doctor discovered that the foreign body was pinned in the glottis. The patient had a CT-scan of the neck and chest area, and it was discovered that the fishbone was pinned to the vocal cords and the cartilage of the funnel, pneumothorax in the adjacent area, and a tear in the sinus mucosa.
In addition, the patient was also discovered by chance that he had impaired glucose tolerance through blood biochemical tests.
The bone was successfully removed by the endoscope, helping the patient avoid dangerous complications
The doctors decided to anesthetize and perform an emergency laparoscopic surgery for the patient. During laryngoscopy, one end of the bone was inserted in the inter-funnel brace, the other end was free in the hypoglottis.
The fish bone with a length of more than 3.5cm was successfully removed by the team of doctors. Immediately after surgery, the patient’s symptoms of swallowing pain and hoarseness were clearly reduced, and the patient’s health was recovering well.
Dr. Le Ho Bang Tam, Department of Otolaryngology, said: “This is a case of a foreign body choking at the mouth of the airway, which is in the glottis, so it causes obvious discomfort, and it is difficult to get it with conventional endoscopic tools because it easily causes a dangerous choking reflex.
Fortunately, the patient arrived in time, the foreign body is a thin bone, so it has not caused severe edema and infection around, affecting life.”
After endoscopic foreign body removal, the patient’s health is recovering well
Professional analysis of TS.BS Nguyen Thanh Vinh points out: “Foreign object The airways occur at any age and can be fatal. The risk of complications increases with the time the foreign body remains in the body, so it should be diagnosed as soon as possible.
Therefore, when accidentally choking on a foreign object, the patient should not try to get it out by using folk methods, but need to go to the hospital to be checked and handled by a doctor in a timely manner.
According to Tien Phong
at Blogtuan.info – Source: 2sao.vn – Read the original article here