Philippines announces ban on online cockfighting
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte announced that online cockfighting floors will have to stop working. (Photo: Inquirer)
The prohibition gamechicken online is a content in the televised speech of Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on May 3.
Mr. Duterte confirmed that online cockfighting will end “tonight”. However, an official from the Philippine Presidential Office said that the official decree has not been issued yet.
Mr. Duterte’s decision was made on the advice of the Philippine Interior Secretary, Mr. Eduardo Ano, which warned about the negative social impacts of this activity.
“This is his proposal. I agree. This is a good thing,” said President Duterte.
Cockfighting moved to online form due to the COVID-19 epidemic. (Photo: Flickr)
Cockfighting is a popular game in the Philippines and is usually played in live arenas, but has since moved to online due to the COVID-19 epidemic. Therefore, the Philippine Government accepts to issue business licenses to organizations that accept online bets.
However, the operation faced negative backlash in society after 34 chicken farmers were allegedly kidnapped and killed earlier this year. According to Senator Ronald dela Rosa, the victims may have injured their own chicken and bet on their opponents.
Online cockfighting activities are said to be the cause of gambling addiction to have more branches to develop. Last March, a woman in the capital Manila was prosecuted on suspicion of selling her eight-month-old daughter to pay off a cockfight debt.
In the past, President Duterte has repeatedly rejected calls to ban online cockfighting. According to Mr. Duterte, this activity brings about 12 million USD tax money each month, contributing to help the Government of this country make up for the deficit caused by the pandemic.
* Invite readers to watch programs broadcast by Vietnam Television on TV Online and VTVGo!
at Blogtuan.info – Source: vtv.vn – Read the original article here