QUICK READING on 4-5: The area bordering Hungary and Slovakia was attacked for the first time
Smoke rises above the Azovstal steel plant in the city of Mariupol, Ukraine – Photo: AP
* Ukrainian officials say Russia is bombing and shelling the Azovstal iron and steel factory complex in the city of Mariupol after the ceasefire period, according to Reuters news agency. The Russian side also previously announced that it is focusing on the firing points of the entrenched Ukrainian forces.
The UN humanitarian coordinator in Ukraine Osnat Lubrani said the organization had evacuated 101 people from Mariupol to Zaporizhzhia. About 100,000 people are still trapped inside the port city besieged by Russia.
* The governor of the Donetsk region, Pavlo Kyrylenko, said that Russia’s air strikes on May 3 left 21 people dead and 27 injured, the highest daily death toll in nearly a month in this region. , according to AFP news agency.
Among them, at least 10 people were killed and 15 injured in an airstrike on the Avdiivka plant, one of the largest coke plants in Europe.
Firefighters put out a fire at a substation in the city of Lviv, Ukraine on May 3 – Photo: REUTERS
* Day 3-5, The Russian Defense Ministry said that the country attacked a military airport near the city of Odessa in southwestern Ukraine with Onyx missiles, destroying drones, missiles and ammunition supplied to Kiev by the United States and its European allies, Reuters news agency reported.
In addition, Russian artillery rockets have also hit many military targets across Ukraine, including command centers, weapons depots and an S-300 air defense missile system.
* On May 3, the mayor of Lviv city said that air strikes damaged two substations, causing power outages in some areas of the city, according to AFP news agency. Mayor Andriy Sadoviy said one person was injured in the incident.
Ukrainian officials also reported airstrikes in the Kirovograd region in central Ukraine and the Vinnytsia region in southwestern Ukraine.
The mountainous Transcarpathia region, which borders Hungary and Slovakia and has not been attacked since Russia launched its military campaign on February 24, was also hit by air strikes on May 3.
Evacuation center in the city of Zaporizhzhia, Ukraine – Photo: GETTY IMAGES
* Day 3-5, Pope Francis said he had requested a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin on Ukraine. Pope Francis said he has yet to receive a response from Moscow, and is concerned that Mr Putin “cannot, nor does he want to meet him at this time”, according to AFP.
* On May 3, US President Joe Biden visited a factory of Lockheed Martin company in Alabama, where Javelin anti-tank missiles are produced. According to Reuters, Mr. Biden wants to use the visit to push Congress to approve a $33 billion aid package for Ukraine.
* On May 3, the European Union (EU) said that new sanctions against Russia will target its banks and oil industry. The EU also plans to replace two-thirds of its gas imports from Russia by the end of 2022.
at Blogtuan.info – Source: tuoitre.vn – Read the original article here