Giải tríTin tức

A familiar fruit in an unexpectedly expensive meal in the world

Green cardamom is the third most expensive spice in the world, after saffron and vanilla. Just 100 grams of green cardamom seasoning can cost around $9, or about $90 per kilogram. It takes a lot of work to get a little cardamom. Harvesters need to collect 6 kg of raw fruit by hand to produce 1 kg of green cardamom. But just because some fruit on the same tree ripens does not mean that all the rest will ripen.

A familiar fruit in an unexpectedly expensive meal in the world - 1

After seeding, it takes 2 years before the tree can bear fruit. Even then, the amount of harvest in the first turn was very small. These green cardamom plants only bear fruit for 3 or 4 years. Between harvests need to weed a lot and thin, transplant miles.

The main reason this spice is so expensive is because it needs to be harvested by hand. It is a very laborious manual process. Each cardamom must be picked when it is about 75% ripe, so it takes time and care to obtain this spice.

All this labor, care and time is more expensive than other traditional spices that can be harvested by more automated means. A sample of cardamom usually produces only about 20 – 50 kg of green cardamom spice. In addition, the demand for cardamom is increasing, so the basic laws of supply and demand have also increased the price of this unique spice.

The flavor is strong and some say it tastes like a combination of ginger and cinnamon. Others say it has a more unique mint flavor with a hint of lemon. Some liken it to a mixture of nutmeg and cinnamon. However, nothing really tastes like green cardamom.

About 80% of the world’s cardamom is sold in the Middle East. The rest of us who live elsewhere have to compete for the remaining 20% ​​of green cardamom.

You are reading the article A familiar fruit in an unexpectedly expensive meal in the world
at – Source: – Read the original article here

Back to top button