Sức Khỏe

A 60-year-old patient who drank alcohol soaked in the roots of the tree fell into a coma and suffered brain damage

Going to the forest to dig up tree roots to soak in wine to cure bone and joint diseases, Mr. was hospitalized for brain damage and is currently in a coma.

According to information from the Poison Control Center, Bach Mai Hospital (Hanoi), patient Truong Van D. (60 years old, Nghe An) has a history of drinking for many years. Patients with osteoarthritis pain, go to the forest to dig up the roots of the grouper (local name) to soak in alcohol to drink, about 50ml/day.

After 10 days of use, the patient showed symptoms of dizziness, lightheadedness, nausea, high blood pressure. Mr. D. was taken to a local hospital by his family for emergency, but his condition worsened, and his limbs twitched for about 30 minutes, so the patient was transferred to a higher level and continued to be taken to Bach Mai Hospital.

ngamruou 410
The wine sample soaked in the roots of a forest tree that patient Truong Van D. used

Also poisoned by drinking alcohol soaked in forest roots being treated at the Poison Control Center is patient Le Ba T. (50 years old, also in Nghe An). The patient has a history of frequent alcohol consumption, about 500ml/day. The patient is a seafarer. Before entering the hospital 5 days, the patient also drank alcohol soaked in forest roots as suggested to treat bone and joint disease, about 150ml/day.

The patient’s wife said that, after 3 days of drinking wine soaked in roots, Mr. T. was dizzy, had epigastric pain, nausea, but still went to the beach. On board, the patient appeared to have severe abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, so he was taken to the emergency room.

TS.BS Nguyen Trung Nguyen – Director of the Poison Control Center, said that 2 patients were hospitalized on May 1 and May 6 due to poisoning after drinking a type of wine soaked with tree roots dug themselves in the forest. cure back pain, knee pain.

ngamruou2 411
Photographs of brain damage from patients with salicylate poisoning

After taking it for 5 days, the patients all had symptoms of dizziness, nausea, ringing in the ears, shortness of breath, rapid breathing and went to the hospital in a state of severe metabolic acidosis, coma, and brain damage. Testing of alcohol samples brought in by the patient and testing of the patient’s blood found that salicylate was derived from the plant’s roots.

This is a pain reliever found in many natural plants, can be used to relieve pain, but has certain toxicity if the control is not guaranteed in terms of dosage and administration. Therefore, if we drink alcohol soaked in a “comfortable” way, it is very easy to be poisoned.

These are two cases that are easy to detect and can be handled, but there will be many other complicated cases because in nature there are too many different compounds and substances that we do not know. Salicylate poisoning can lead to severe health consequences. Patients with dizziness, nausea, ringing in the ears, convulsions, coma, low blood pressure, brain damage and kidney damage, are very likely to die.

Currently, soaking alcohol for massage and drinking at home is very popular, to ensure it is safe to use, the doctor recommends how much to soak and how to use it. “If we use it in a carefree and comfortable way like today, it is very easy to cause poisoning, affecting the health and life of ourselves and our loved ones,” said the doctor.

Ngoc Trang

You are reading the article A 60-year-old patient who drank alcohol soaked in the roots of the tree fell into a coma and suffered brain damage
at Blogtuan.info – Source: vietnamnet.vn – Read the original article here

Back to top button