Sức Khỏe

The unexpected cause of poisoning from self-soaked ‘medicine’ alcohol

The use of alcohol to soak plants, animals and parts of animals, insects, can suffer unfortunate consequences due to uncontrolled toxins.

Brain coma after using alcohol to “nourish” joints

Dr. Nguyen Trung Nguyen, Director Poison Control Center (Bach Mai Hospital), said the Poison Control Center is treating 2 male patients aged 50 and 60 who were hospitalized on May 1 and May 6 due to poisoning after drinking a wine soaked with roots dug in the forest to treat pain. back, knee pain.

In which, there is a case of Mr. Truong Van D. (60 years old, in Nghe An). Before being hospitalized, following the advice of an “ethnic woman”, Mr. Go to the forest to dig up tree roots to soak in wine to cure osteoarthritis at home.

Dr. Nguyen Trung Nguyen discussed the image of damaged brain scans of patients with salicylate poisoning after using self-soaked tonic alcohol.


After 10 days of using self-soaked alcohol about 50 ml/day, the patient showed symptoms of dizziness, lightheadedness, nausea, high blood pressure.

The patient was taken to a local hospital by his family for emergency, but his condition worsened, and his limbs twitched for about 30 minutes, so he was transferred to a higher level and continued to be transferred to the Poison Control Center. , Bach Mai Hospital (Hanoi).

As of this morning, May 19, this patient was still in a coma due to severe poisoning.

Also poisoned by drinking alcohol soaked in forest roots being treated at the Poison Control Center is patient Le Ba T. (50 years old, also in Nghe An).

About 5 days before being admitted to the hospital, patient T. drank wine soaked in forest roots to treat bone and joint disease, the dose was about 150 ml/day.

Mr. T’s wife said, after 3 days of drinking wine soaked in roots, the patient appeared dizzy, epigastric pain, nausea but still went to the beach. On the ship, the patient developed severe abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, so he was taken to the emergency room and transferred to the Poison Control Center, Bach Mai Hospital.

According to Dr. Trung Nguyen, with the above 2 patients, after taking 5 days, they all had symptoms of dizziness, nausea, ringing in the ears, shortness of breath, rapid breathing, and went to the hospital in a state of severe metabolic acidosis. comatosehave brain damage.

Pain relief is poison

Testing of alcohol samples brought in by the patient and testing of the patient’s blood found that salicylate was derived from the plant’s roots.

“This is a pain reliever found in many natural plants, which can be used to relieve pain, but it has certain toxicity if the control is not guaranteed in terms of dosage and administration. Therefore, if we drink alcohol freely like this, it is very easy to be poisoned”, Dr Originally concerned.

According to poison control experts, Salicylate poisoning can lead to severe consequences for the human body health. Patients with dizziness, nausea, ringing in the ears, convulsions, coma, low blood pressure, brain damage and kidney damage, are very likely to die.

“The above two poisoning cases are easy to detect and can be handled. Many other complicated cases because in nature there are too many different compounds and substances that we don’t know,” said Dr. Trung. Nguyen shared.

The director of the Poison Control Center further noted that currently soaking in alcohol for massage and drinking at home is very popular. To ensure safe use, even if it is a herb, it is also a medicine because it contains many different active ingredients that we do not know all about. Therefore, the amount of soaking, how to use it also requires the advice of a doctor. If we use it carelessly, it is easy to be poisoned, affecting health and life.

According to the Food Safety Department, many myths about plants and animals have the effect of promoting health, treating diseases, and are completely harmless. However, such materials may contain natural toxins without the user’s awareness. Therefore, “tonic” alcohol, if left unchecked, is poisonous.

You are reading the article The unexpected cause of poisoning from self-soaked ‘medicine’ alcohol

at Blogtuan.info – Source: thanhnien.vn – Read the original article here

Back to top button