It’s called a side project, but if you calculate the investment per m2, the toilet is not ‘extra’ at all.
It takes a large amount of money, but if you do not pay attention to the following, the homeowner will have to endure the uncomfortable feelings that the incident in the toilet area brings.
Here are some tips from architect Truong Thanh Trung, R Design Worldwide.
1. Noise coming from the drainage pipe
Currently, instead of using cast iron pipes, water supply and drainage systems all use PVC pipes. The advantage of this type of pipe is that it does not form plaque, has a long life, but the disadvantage is that it loses its natural noise resistance.
To remedy this situation, the following points should be noted:
– In straight-height drainage pipelines, there must be elbows (water traps) to change the flow direction, in order to reduce the pressure created on the pipe wall.
– Pipe fixing belts must have anti-vibration pads or special shock absorbers. Where belts and clamps cannot be used, use polyurethane foam.
– Do not connect the roof drainage system with the toilet’s drainage system. The reason is that when the roof drainage system fails to escape, there will be a backflow phenomenon.
– For buildings with more than 6 floors, every 3 floors should install a pressure reducing valve for the water supply line, in order to avoid too strong water pressure leading to scald when in use.
– The position of the floor outlet manhole must not be too close to the toilet wall, at least 100 mm away at the contact edges.
– Use a floor drain with a water trap to prevent insects and odors.
– The installation position of the toilet’s total water shut-off valve must be located in easy-to-operate positions.
2. Toilet floor elevation
In the construction design of houses, villas, hotels… the floor of the toilet is lower than the rest of the rooms because it is necessary to install more pipes, drains, wires… then smooth the floor and waterproof. The toilet must also be lower than other rooms to avoid overflowing water, affecting other areas of the house. The appropriate height difference is from 3-5 cm.
3. Waterproofing the toilet
This is very important because if you do not do it carefully from the beginning, the homeowner will have to suffer great consequences during use due to seepage and leakage.
– When constructing, do not use concrete drill to puncture the floor, but must use drill to remove the core.
– Ensure the slope so that the water does not collect on the floor
– Before finishing, it is necessary to waterproof the entire toilet, especially at the position of the pipe neck and the adjacent corners between the wall and the floor. Currently on the market there are many waterproofing materials and additives. Each type is only applicable to a specific case, not all types are used equally. Before doing so should consult with reputable professional units.
– After tiling the floor, must be wiped vigorously and thoroughly with a white cement paste, avoiding open circuits.
4. Bad smell in the toilet
Toilets that have been used for a long time with an unpleasant odor are often caused by not being cleaned properly or by objective factors such as a full septic tank, clogged vents, etc. However, there are other causes to this problem. from construction, construction:
– Installing the drainage pipe system not according to standards or wrong technique: The discharge pipe is too small compared to regulations; Drain pipes are not of good quality, using old and used pipes can easily cause stamping, breaking and opening joints; There is a leak in the water pipe at the P-section; Install a non-standard toilet, there is a gap in the junction between the toilet foot and the toilet floor, there is not enough water to remove odors from the manhole; Drain hose is broken or set too low.
– Because the toilet is clogged with the exhaust pipe
With this phenomenon, the homeowner first needs to carefully check each drain hole and toilet to see where the odor is coming from. If you don’t have time, you can contact the repair team to fix it.
5. Gypsum ceiling in toilet
The toilet is a place with high humidity, often exposed to steam, so when making gypsum ceilings, you should choose moisture-resistant panels instead of water-resistant ones. This type of material helps to avoid mold or mildew… a situation that common toilets often encounter.
For toilets using water-resistant plaster, after a while, cracks often appear at the joints of the panels, causing unsightly. Another note is to use a brace to separate the gap between the wall and the ceiling, to avoid the later appearing cracks running around the bare neck.
The ceiling door should be arranged in a convenient position so that technical systems running on the ceiling can be handled when necessary.
6. Check electrical equipment
– The mounting surface of the socket device must be flat, not tilted, and not open to prevent water leakage and stagnant water inside.
– Check the wiring diagram before drilling screws or nailing the device, to avoid the case of drilling into the power line, causing electrical leakage or short-circuiting.
– Choose sockets with covers to prevent water or steam. The location of the electrical outlet must be high and dry, away from the shower.
– Install anti-shock aptomat for hot water tank.
7. Sanitary ware
– It is not necessary to use equipment such as expensive showerheads of famous brands, but should use genuine products. Do not use imitation goods because this type usually only has an outer layer of plating, the inside is not uniform metal. Using for a while, the plating will peel or oxidize the surface, causing loss of aesthetics.
– The terminals waiting for the wall to the device should not be too close to the wall, because there is a gap between the plaster and the finishing material. If the distance is not enough, it will lead to the installation, the device will be pulled close to the wall or the installation becomes difficult.
– The distance between the height and width of the equipment should be ensured in accordance with the design standards.
Architect Truong Thanh Trung
at Blogtuan.info – Source: vnexpress.net – Read the original article here