Reset change oil light is essential for extending the life of a car. Refreshing the oil change light is among the actions required to follow the recommended change regimen for your vehicle. When everyone replaced their personal oil, it was simple to jot down the miles on a bit of paper, drop it in the coat pocket, and check it on a regular basis.
Service facilities made life a bit simpler and provided consistency to oil changes by jotting down the next oil change distance, along with the fuel economy at the moment of this change, on a clear plastic wrapper placed with mild adhesive immediately below the driver’s side door sun visor. Instructions vary by model, but here we have listed some ways to reset change oil light on numerous popular models.
MODELS OF CHEVROLET AND GMC WITHOUT A VIC
The 2005 and later GMC models without a vehicle information center can use these instructions to turn off the oil change indicator light (VIC):
- Slip into the driver’s seat and shut all the doors. Start the engine to the auxiliary position after inserting it into the ignition. The instrument cluster will light up at this moment.
- Then, within the first 5 seconds of starting the car, depress the gas pedal all the way to the floor. Keep a watch on the oil light, which should flash before going out. After that, you may let off the pedal, switch off the ignition, and take the key. If the light does not turn off, try again.
MODELS OF CHEVROLET AND GMC WITH A VIC
If you own a GMC and Chevrolet car from 2006 or after, the instructions are somewhat different:
- Switch the ignition switch to the auxiliary position.
- Locate the start key on the driver resource center while the oil warning is shown. Hold the button down for one second. The panel will recognize your restart, allowing you to turn the key off.
- Begin the engine. The oil service light will remain on until it is time to replace the oil again.
How to reset or change the oil light on some Jeep models, including the Wrangler, is as follows:
- Insert the ignition key and turn it to the “on” setting without starting the vehicle.
- Slowly depress the accelerator pedal three times in a row within 10 seconds.
- The system might as well have reset at this point. You may test this by turning it off and then back on the ignition. If the light remains on, repeat the procedure. Otherwise, switch off the engine and retrieve the key.
The following are the instructions for switching off the oil service light on several Honda vehicles, including the Accord:
- Put the key into the clutch without starting the car.
- Locate and push the “select” stem near the tachometer until you’ve seen the term “oil” or a wrench image appear. Hold down the stem for ten seconds, just until the icon starts blinking.
- Remove the stem and press “select” for another five seconds. The oil service light should go out until the next time the oil is changed. If it doesn’t, follow these instructions again.
Resetting the “Oil Change Required” warning on most 2010-13 trucks even without the keyless “Enter-N-GoTM” option is as follows:
- Insert the ignition key and turn it to the “on” position before starting the engine.
- Within 10 seconds, press the gas pedal carefully to the floor 3 times.
- Turning off the ignition. Repeat the procedure if the light remains on the next moment you start the truck.
The reset change oil light sensor can be found on the columns screen, above the rear view, or on the console, depending on whether you’re in a Ford passenger car, SUV, or F-series truck.
Randy Tucker photographed the settings control arrangement of a Ford 350 diesel.
Change the oil and filter when the indicator says “Oil Change Required.” After finishing the job, set the display by seating inside the car in park or first gear, setting the parking brake, closing the doors, and turning the key on but without starting the engine.
Scroll through the mileage, trip duration, tire pressure, and other choices until you reach the oil change notification. Find the reset button and push it for one second. The display will say “Oil Light Set to 100%.”
Chrsyler’s techniques for resetting change oil light differ widely according to the make. You probably own a Dodge vehicle if you’re doing it yourself. Although this is not always the case, truck owners frequently handle greater of their own maintenance than automobile or SUV owners.
There are two possibilities for a Dodge Ram:
- Turn on the key, or if your vehicle has a push-button start, push a button once but do not start the engine. In less than 10 seconds, press the gas pedal 3 times all the way to the ground. Turn off the ignition, and the light will go out, resetting the indication.
- The second choice is identical to the previous, except you must use the plus signs to locate the “Vehicle Info” selections on the display. Find the “Oil Life” option and push the right arrows for a few minutes until the refresh option appears. To confirm that the device has been reset, press the up arrow.
If you’re unsure how to reset change oil light on your specific car, consult your owner’s handbook, where the instructions are usually found in the section on motor oil. The processes needed may differ not only by manufacturer but also by model year.