2-year-old girl electrocuted, stopped heart, hand necrosis due to phone charger

Burns Unit – Orthopedic Department, National Children’s Hospital has just received BA girl, 29 months old, Hanoi, who suffered an electric shock, stopped her heart, lost consciousness, and suffered deep burns on her entire left palm due to phone charging.

Ms. Th., A.’s mother recounted that on March 18, while the family was cooking, the child played with her 5-year-old sister. Seeing that the phone was charging, baby A. arbitrarily unplugged the phone charger to play, was electrocuted.

After the accident, the child lay unconscious, pale, left palm black. Luckily, her sister, who was riding a bicycle nearby, saw that she was electrocuted, so she ran to call her family and shouted.

The child was rushed to help by neighbors, then performed first aid with cardiac compression, then taken to a local medical facility for emergency and continued to be transferred to the National Children’s Hospital for treatment.

“I was very shocked and scared. Before that, I also knew about cases of electric shock caused by phone charging through the media, but I didn’t think this would happen to my child,” Ms. Th. speak.

A 2-year-old girl was electrocuted, had a cardiac arrest, and had necrosis of her hand because of her phone charger - Photo 1.

The girl was hospitalized for treatment after being electrocuted, causing cardiac arrest and was unconscious (Photo: Hospital provided)

BSc CCII Phung Cong Sang, Head of Burns Unit, Deputy Head of Orthopedics Department, National Children’s Hospital, said that right after receiving the pediatric patient at the Emergency Department of Poison Control, the child was evaluated and treated. cardiovascular risk and risk of acute renal failure. When the child’s condition was stable, the doctors performed a necrotectomy, skin flap transfer, skin grafting in the hand area (necrotic damage to both fascia muscle and finger bones) to keep the hand both on and on. function and aesthetics for children.

“After surgery, the child is now stable, but recovery still requires a lot of time and effort from the family and the hospital,” said Dr. Sang.

According to Dr. Sang, phone chargers often have a voltage converter, which has a very low voltage output. However, if the plug is open, the plug is faulty, it can still be dangerous, this has also been warned many times on the mass media.

For young children, who are very active, naughty and curious, accidents related to phone charging are not uncommon, mainly because children play with their phones while they are plugged in or they play with their phones. while charging.

The doctor recommends that, to avoid tragic and unfortunate accidents that happen to young children related to electricity, parents should note:

– Always unplug the charger from the electrical outlet when not in use, the power outlet must have a protective cover.

– Do not let your child play with the phone while it is charging.

– Place the charging phone out of reach of the baby.

– Make sure the charging cord is properly connected to the power source.

– Always have someone to look after and carefully monitor the child.

According to Dr. Sang, when a child has an electric burn, relatives need to handle the following:

– Separate the victim from the power source (turn off the circuit breaker, use a wooden stick to knock the high current) as quickly as possible. If the child is injured at a height, it must be arranged to support the child when it falls and take the sick person to a cool place.

– The family needs to conduct a respiratory and circulatory assessment, the child’s consciousness and look for other injuries if there is a fall, to find the right first aid, to avoid injuring the cervical spine or limbs (if any). aggravated.

– If the child stops circulating, conduct chest compressions properly and call for medical assistance.

– Families should only move the patient to a medical facility when the child has received first aid.

– Only conduct the treatment of electric burns when the child does not have a general disorder, should not apply ice, ointment or anything to the burn, just wash the burn and cover it with clean gauze.

According to Minh Nhan

Law and Readers

You are reading the article 2-year-old girl electrocuted, stopped heart, hand necrosis due to phone charger
at – Source: – Read the original article here

Back to top button