F0 quickly took antibiotics to prevent the virus from spreading to the lungs
Colonel, Doctor Nguyen Huy Hoang, Vietnam Hyperbaric Oxygen Center Tropical Center Russia, Ministry of National Defense Coughing when infected with Covid-19 is basically the body’s protective response to expel pathogens from the respiratory tract. However, if the cough is so severe that it causes fatigue and difficulty sleeping, the patient needs to be hospitalized.
According to Dr. Hoang, there are 2 types of dry cough and cough with phlegm, the treatment will be different. If a dry cough is often caused by a viral infection that causes respiratory tract irritation, F0 can use cough suppressants. If coughing up phlegm is often caused by a chronic respiratory disease or bacterial infection, it’s best not to use a cough suppressant but an expectorant.
In fact, many F0 who cough a lot, rush to use antibiotics to prevent the virus from spreading to the lungs. In this case, MSc Nguyen Thu Huong, Head of Covid-19 Anti-epidemic Unit, Thanh Nhan Hospital warning F0 home treatment should not abuse antibiotics. These are medications that are prescribed and recommended by doctors.
According to Dr. Huong, after the examination, if there are signs of infection, F0 will use antibiotics. “Antibiotics are a double-edged sword, if used in the wrong way, both are ineffective and can cause allergies, damage to liver enzymes and kidney function,” said dr.
To find out whether there is lung damage or not, the patient needs to go to a medical facility for an examination and a chest CT scan, not using antibiotics indiscriminately.
Doctor Huong suggested if a patient has a negative PCR test but continues to have lung damage, they need to be hospitalized for further treatment.
F0 rushes to take antibiotics to prevent virus from spreading to lungs, doctor recommends danger (Artwork)
Doctor Nguyen Huy Hoang said antibiotics were not effective against viruses in general and SARS-CoV-2 in particular.
According to doctors, antibiotics are used to prevent and treat bacterial superinfections (tonsillitis, bronchiolitis, sinusitis…). But in fact, many F0 are in a hurry to use 2 antibiotics to prevent infection, Dr. Hoang stressed that this was a serious mistake!
According to doctors, with F0s with multiple underlying diseases, inherently poor resistance may be at risk for bacterial superinfection. However, it is not recommended to use up to 2 types for prophylaxis, only 1 prophylactic antibiotic is sufficient.
“Even some people, even without the above risks, still follow each other’s prescriptions, taking up to 2 strong antibiotics at the same time, while there is no sign of infection,” said Dr Hoang well.
According to analysts, there are many types of antibiotics, but currently there are 3 main groups of oral drugs.
– Marcolide group: erythromycin, azithromycin, clarithromycin …
– Beta-lactam group: amoxicillin/clavulanate, amoxicillin/sulbactam, cephalexin, ceforuxim, cefixime, cefpodoxime…
– Quinolones: ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin…
“Abuse of antibiotics is not life threatening, but it will burden the liver and kidneys, while the body is exhausted from the attack of the virus. In addition, if used inappropriately will cause bacteria to become resistant to the drug. Later, if you get an infection, the antibiotics won’t work anymore,” Doctor Hoang suggested that patients taking antibiotics should consult a doctor.
Doctor Hoang advised people not to rush to take antibiotics when experiencing symptoms of cough and sore throat. Instead, F0 can use honey, herbal cough syrup.
When a prolonged dry cough causes fatigue, sleeplessness, stomach pain, people can take medicine or syrup with alimemazine or diphenhydramine. It is a substance that has an antitussive, anti-allergic, sedative effect. If the disease develops seriously, F0 must immediately notify the medical facility for timely treatment.
Doctor Nguyen Huy Hoang advises how to deal with cough when infected with Covid-19
A. Cough suppressants:
1. Honey, mint and other herbs, relieve respiratory tract irritation.
+ Nam Ha Supplements, Eugica, other types of junk, Prospan…
2. Drugs to relieve cough by blocking the respiratory center:
Codeine active ingredients:
Codeine has a cough suppressant effect by inhibiting the cough center directly, but drying and increasing the viscosity of bronchial secretions. When preparing, it is often combined with terpine to dilute respiratory secretions. Use codeine for dry, irritating coughs, insomnia, and mild to moderate pain.
– Contraindications: children under 1 year, liver disease, respiratory failure, pregnant women.
Codeine dries the airways and increases the viscosity of bronchial secretions.
The active ingredient is dextromethorphan…
– By inhibiting the cough center, dextromethorphan has an antitussive effect similar to codeine, but with fewer side effects.
– Dextromethorphan is not addictive, has no analgesic effect and has very little sedative effect.
– Dextromethorphan is a good indication in cases of dry and chronic cough.
– Contraindications: hypersensitivity to the drug, children under 2 years, being treated with monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors.
– Caution: people at risk or experiencing respiratory failure, history of asthma, allergies.
In addition, in this group there are the active ingredients pholcodin, noscapin…
3. Anti-allergic drugs of the older generation of antihistamines:
– The active ingredient is alimemazine (Theralene syrup or similar syrup)
– The active ingredient is diphenhydramine (Benadryl syrup or similar).
– Indications: dry cough due to allergies, irritation, especially at night.
This class 3 drug causes drowsiness.
B. expectorant: There are 2 types that increase respiratory secretions and clear thin mucus and phlegm.
1. Drugs that increase secretion:
– As an irritant to the gastric mucosa or essential oil, has the effect of stimulating respiratory mucosal cells to increase the secretion of secretions.
– Includes: Active ingredients Guaiphenesine, Terpin, Eucalyptol, …
While taking this drug, drink plenty of water.
2. Mucolytic drugs:
– Active ingredient N-acetyl cysteine: Acemuc or similar with the same ingredients.
– Ambroxol: Bisolvon or the like.
– Active ingredient bromhexin: Mucosolvan or the like.
Notes when using mucolytic expectorants:
– This drug can cause bronchospasm, so it is contraindicated for people with bronchial asthma.
– Drugs that damage the protective gastric mucous membrane can worsen the condition of gastroduodenal patients.
Do not use an expectorant for more than 10 days unless directed by your doctor.
LONG TERM Cough TREATMENT
Many people after the negative still have a long cough, how to deal with it?
– There may still be a virus that has not completely healed, or another respiratory viral infection. Or cough due to allergies, smoke, chemicals…
– The fix is to use cough suppressants, old generation antiallergic drugs such as alimemazine, diphenhydramine (Theralene or Benadryl or similar).
– Some cases are due to gastroesophageal reflux, because when exposed to Covid-19 easily worried, lack of sleep, thinking a lot… can cause increased gastric acid secretion, causing gastric esophageal spasm disorders, which also causes dryness of the esophagus. cough. In this case, it is necessary to use antacids to neutralize gastric juices, mild sedatives to reduce anxiety and stress.
– Can be caused by bronchitis, pneumonia, bacterial superinfection. In these cases, a doctor should be consulted for antibiotics and an expectorant (usually ambroxol).
– Can be caused by other lung diseases such as bronchial asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, bronchiectasis. At that time, you will need to see a respiratory specialist for thorough treatment.
Cough due to respiratory fungus
– Use of antibiotics, immunosuppressive drugs… can cause some fungi to grow, although they usually don’t cause disease.
– If the above treatment measures still continue, then a fungal infection should be considered. At that time there must also be a specialist to examine and use antifungal drugs (usually very harmful to the liver) for comprehensive treatment.
at Blogtuan.info – Source: Kenh14.Vn – Read the original article here