QUICK READ 11 May: US intelligence warns of ‘long war’ in Ukraine
In front of a damaged residential building in the Saltivka neighborhood, city of Kharkov, Ukraine, May 10 – Photo: REUTERS
* According to AFP news agency, on May 10, US intelligence warns that Russia is preparing for a long war in Ukrainewill not end this war only with military operations in the Donbass region, and will be determined to build a land corridor connecting Ukraine with the Transnistria region in Moldova.
“We assess that Russian President Putin is preparing for a protracted conflict in Ukraine, in which he still intends to achieve goals beyond the Donbass,” – US National Intelligence Director Avril Haines stated at a hearing in the US Congress.
* According to the AP news agency, in a video address to Maltese lawmakers on May 10, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said that despite Ukraine’s offers, So far the country has not received the required number of weapons to stop the Russian siege of the city of Mariupol and liberate the city.
However, he asserted that Ukrainian soldiers “continue to resist at the Azovstal steel plant” in Mariupol.
Zelensky added that so far Ukrainian cities and towns have been hit by about 2,250 missiles during Russia’s two-and-a-half-month military campaign. “The bombardment was non-stop, day and night,” he said.
* May 10, The United Nations says an estimated 8 million people have been displaced inside Ukraine due to the Russia-Ukraine conflict. These people had to leave their homes, but remained in the country. With that, more than 5.9 million Ukrainians have left the country.
* US House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi said The US House of Representatives will vote on a $40 billion humanitarian and military aid bill for Ukraine on the evening of May 10 (local time). This bill is likely to pass the House of Representatives and then the US Senate in the coming days, before reaching President Joe Biden’s desk for signature.
“With this aid package, the United States sends a resounding message to the world about our unwavering determination to stand with the brave Ukrainian people until victory is won.” – House Speaker Nancy Pelosi wrote in her letter to fellow Democrats.
* According to Tass news agency, on May 10, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov accused the High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy of the European Union (EU) Josep Borrell got the idea of ”theft”, after Josep Borrell proposed to seize frozen Russian assets and hand them over to Ukraine.
at Blogtuan.info – Source: tuoitre.vn – Read the original article here